I’m Sally Mayor and I set up WordNerd in 2011 to provide copywriting help for small local businesses.
In the last seven and a half years I’ve worked with companies of all shapes and sizes – from a one-year-old social enterprise to a tech company with more than 60 million users, a household name with a £10 billion turnover, and everything in between.
These days my clients aren’t so local either. Most of them are in the UK or the US and they span four continents (I haven’t conquered Australasia yet!).
Whoever I’m writing for, my work is always targeted and tailored, whether it’s designed to educate, entertain, inspire or convert.
I start each new project by putting a detailed brief together to understand a new client’s business, their audience, brand, tone of voice and – most importantly – what they want to achieve.
Highlights and honours
I’m most proud of the amazing feedback I get and having lots of happy clients.
Here are some of my other achievements:
- Presenting a workshop – Applying Behavioural Insights to Supercharge Your Copy – at the Copywriting Conference in London in October 2019
- busuu blog I wrote for voted #9 in the Top 25 Language Learning Blogs in the world in 2014
- Shortlisted for a Fastest 40 Award by East Midlands Business Link in 2015
- Wrote entries for Adams Catering Hire that won them national HEA awards in 2013, 2014 & 2015
- Selected to be a speaker at WordCamp Nederland in Utrecht in 2016 where I gave a talk called How WordPress Save my Life!
- Wrote the website and marketing materials for the UK’s first ever National Clean Air Day in 2017, which won Air Quality News’ Communications Initiative of the Year Award
Before setting up WordNerd, I got an MA in Economics from the University of Edinburgh and an MSc in Development Economics from SOAS (School of Oriental & African Studies) in London, which may explain my interest in behavioural economics. I’ve also worked in financial services, overseas development and the charity sector.
Becoming a copywriter is the best thing I’ve ever done and combines all my skills, interests and experience.
I live in south Derbyshire with my partner and our very small dog called Bob (who think she’s a cat).
If you’d like to talk to me about a copywriting project or consultancy work please get in touch.