Hi, I’m Sally Mayor and I set up WordNerd in 2011 to provide copywriting help for local businesses.
In the last six and half years I’ve worked with companies of all shapes and sizes, from a one-year-old social enterprise to a tech company with more than 50 million users, a household name with a £10 billion turnover and everything in between.
And these days my clients aren’t so local. About half are in the UK and half are in the US, with others dotted around the world.
Whoever I’m writing for, my work is always targeted and tailored to them, whether it’s designed to educate, entertain, inspire or convert.
I start each new project by putting a detailed brief together to understand a client’s business, their audience, brand, tone of voice and – most importantly – what they want to achieve.
Highlights and honours
I’m most proud of the amazing feedback I get and having lots of happy clients.
Here are some of my other biggest achievements:
- Blog writer for mobile app busuu – voted #9 in the ‘Top 25 Language Learning Blogs‘ in the world in 2014
- Shortlisted for a ‘Fastest 40 Award’ in the owner-managed category by East Midlands Business Link in 2015
- Wrote three award-winning entries for Adams Catering Hire who won the national ‘HEA Best Single Outlet‘ in 2013, 2014 & 2015, and have helped clients win or be shortlisted for 9 awards
- Selected to be a speaker at WordCamp Nederland 2016 where I gave my talk called ‘How WordPress Save my Life!’ in Utrecht
- Was the copywriter behind the website and marketing materials for the UK’s first ever National Clean Air Day in June 2017, which won Air Quality News’ ‘Communications Initiative of the Year Award’
Becoming a word nerd
Before setting up WordNerd I got an MA in Economics from the University of Edinburgh and an MSc in Development Economics from SOAS (the School of Oriental & African Studies) at the University of London. After my first degree I worked in financial services in Edinburgh and London (hated it!), and after my Masters I spent a year at an overseas development consultancy in Brighton (loved it!).
I discovered my love of words as a student pretentiously penning (terrible) poetry on the side of Arthur’s Seat, then I started writing fiction (two unfinished novels are gathering dust somewhere). And I decided that copywriting was the life for me after spending three years developing my skills in marketing.
Setting up WordNerd is the best thing I’ve ever done and I hope I’ll get to write for a living for the rest of my life.
It’s not all work, work, work
I live in south Derbyshire with my partner and Bob, our very small dog. Outside of work I love quiz shows, going to art galleries (the Guggenheim in NYC is my favourite), walking Bob, running a local book club and travel.
If you’d like to talk about your next web project please get in touch.
I can’t wait to hear from you.