Hi, I’m Sally Mayor and I set up WordNerd in 2011. I specialise in digital copywriting – so that’s websites, landing pages, email marketing, blogs, LinkedIn articles and white papers.
Everything I write is targeted and tailored, whether it’s designed to educate, convince, reassure, entertain, inspire or convert.
I start each new project by putting a detailed brief together to understand a client’s business, their audience, brand, tone of voice and – most importantly – what they want to achieve.
In the last five years I’ve worked with clients in lots of different sectors, including SaaS, digital signage, a large local charity, short-term lets, marketing agencies, photography, coaching, IT services, interior design, cloud hosting… And with organisations of all sizes, from a one-year-old social enterprise to a web app with over 50 million users and a company with a £10 billion turnover – and everything in between.
Highlights and honours
I’m most proud of the amazing feedback I get and having lots of happy clients.
Here are some of my other proudest moments:
- Blog writer for mobile app busuu – voted one of the ‘Top 25 Language Learning Blogs‘ in the world in 2014
- Shortlisted for a ‘Fastest 40 Award’ in the owner-managed category by East Midlands Business Link in 2015
- Wrote three award-winning entries for Adams Catering Hire who won the national ‘HEA Best Single Outlet‘ in 2013, 2014 & 2015
- Selected to be a speaker at WordCamp Nederland 2016 with a talk called ‘How WordPress Save my Life!’
- Was the copywriter behind the website and marketing materials for the UK’s first ever National Clean Air Day in June 2017
Before setting up WordNerd I studied for two degrees, an MA in Economics from the University of Edinburgh and an MSc in Development Economics from SOAS (the School of Oriental & African Studies) at the University of London. After my first degree I worked in financial services in Edinburgh and London, and after my Masters I spent a year at an overseas development consultancy in Brighton.
Becoming a word nerd
I first discovered my love of writing as a student pretentiously penning (terrible) poetry on the side of Arthur’s Seat, then I started writing fiction (two unfinished novels are gathering dust somewhere), and I decided that copywriting was the life for me after spending three years developing my skills in fundraising and marketing.
Setting up WordNerd is the best thing I’ve ever done, it’s brought together my skills and experience, my passion for writing, and my drive to do the best work I possibly can.
It’s not all work, work, work
Outside of work I love quiz shows (one of my ambitions is to be on Eggheads), walking, reading, music, travel and really good TV dramas.